Making the Move to Independent Living: Our Guide
Is it time to transition to independent living? Perhaps you’re looking for yourself, or maybe you’re searching for a community for your loved one. Whatever the case, The Village at Southlake is here to help you make a smooth transition into independent living. One of the most stressful parts is physically moving all of your belongings from one place to another. Fortunately, our Lexington, SC team has come up with a streamlined guide to ensure that your move to independent living is seamless. Learn more about moving to a independent living community without unnecessary hassle.
Getting the Most Out of Your Community Tour
Before you ever even decide on a living facility, be sure to make the most of your community tour. Ask to see several floor plans and amenities, and don’t forget to request information about rent and specialty services. Here are some good questions to ask the staff at each community you visit:
- What levels of care do you offer?
- What is the resident-to-staff ratio?
- What kinds of activities do you offer?
- Are pets allowed?
- What security measures does the community have?
- Do you offer transportation?
Planning the Moving Process
So, you’ve chosen a community, put down a deposit, and scheduled a move-in date. Now what? Knowing how to get your move started is key to a successful transition. We recommend creating a loose timeline of when everything should get done, from boxing up your possessions to loading the moving van. Keep these things in mind as you continue preparing for independent living:
- Make a Written Plan: While you might be able to remember the important dates, it’s always a good idea to write down your plan. Record any key dates, contact information, and tasks. We also suggest keeping all estimates and receipts for your records.
- Box Up Your Things: Get started packing as soon as possible. Begin with seasonal items, such as holiday decorations, that you won’t need between now and the move. The week before your move, everything should be packed except the day-to-day essentials.
- Downsize: As you box up your items, you might want to start downsizing. Put anything you no longer need aside to be donated, sold, or given to family members. Downsizing is a great way to make your move quicker and easier.
What to Expect on Moving Day
The moving day itself will probably be stressful for the new resident and their family. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to streamline the process. Make sure you understand the terms of your agreement with the moving company, and keep all estimates, so you know exactly how much payment will be due upon completion of service. It’s also important to know your community’s specific procedures in regards to move-ins. Simply give the team at The Village at Southlake, and we can give you a thorough explanation of what moving day will look like.
Be Ready for the Emotional Aspect
Don’t overlook the emotional aspect of making the move to independent living! Many residents struggle with a perceived loss of independence, while others might miss the home they lived and made memories in. Whatever the case for you or your loved one, feeling sad is completely normal. Some ways to cope with the emotional side of moving include:
- Pack one room at a time
- Don’t dwell on which items to keep
- Donate items so you can feel good about downsizing
- Keep special items that will make your new space feel like home
- Hang family photos on the walls of your new apartment
- Get active in your new community—visit shared spaces, meet your neighbors, etc.
Don’t Be Afraid to Request Help When You Need It!
The team at The Village at Southlake is well aware that moving to independent living can be a challenge. That’s why we’re always here to provide help when you need it. Our friendly staff is glad to provide you with more information about us, as well as the procedures for moving into your new home. You’re never alone in our community!
Settling into Your New Community
Now that all your things are perfectly placed in your new space, it’s time for the fun part—getting integrated into your new community! At The Village at Southlake, you’ll have plenty of opportunities for socializing and meeting your neighbors. We encourage you to spend some time in our shared lounge or stop by our dining room for meals shared with friends. You might even want to take advantage of these amenities as you settle in:
- Exercise and fitness center
- Game room
- Heated swimming pool
- Walking paths
- Community theatre
Visit The Village at Southlake Today
Moving to independent living isn’t a hassle when you take the time to prepare accordingly. As you prepare for your upcoming move, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Lexington, SC community with questions and concerns. Our staff is here to help, and we’ll always provide you with the information you need to make the move go smoothly. Contact us for details about the moving process or to schedule a tour.